Model courseE-1Explore the Atami Spa and traces of ancient eruptions
- East Izu Area - Atami city
- Geological age
- Taga Volcano erupted about 800,000 to 300,000 years ago.
- Start: Atami station Bus stopNishikigaura entrance Bus stopNishikigaura ObservatorySea cave ViewpointHotel corridorNishikigaura entrance Bus stopOyu Bus stopAtami Spa walkingSakimi cho Bus stop：goal
- Walk about 1.7km (cumulative altitude 0m)
- Time required
- About 3 hours
- Town walking
- Meeting place
- Atami station Square
Dismissing：Sakimi cho Bus stop
We will guide you to the GeoSite in Hotel New Akao, which has been introduced in a popular TV program. If you are accompanied by a geo guide, you have an access to the places in the hotel which only guests are allowed to enter. You will see the traces of the volcanic eruption when the Izu Peninsula, once submarine volcanoes, started to appear on the sea.
Walking in the street of Atami, you can feel the history of Atami Spa which flourished from the ancient times.
Meeting place: Atami station Square
Please gather in front of the Steam locomotive Monument at the right of the station.
Although Taga Volcano is categorized as the terrestrial volcano, when it first erupted, it was in the shallow seawater. Hot magma spewed from Taga Volcano touched the seawater and caused a phenomenon called "explosion surge". On the way to the hotel or at the observation deck, you will be able to see the traces of this massive explosion.
Sea Cave Viewpoint
From the road leading to the hotel, you can overlook a sea cave. There is a trace of the volcanic eruption that just put a face on the sea there. It is a rare place where characteristics of underwater eruption and onshore eruption can be seen at the same time.
You can enjoy a spectacular view from the 17th floor corridor. If it is sunny, you can see Hatsushima, Izu Oshima, Manazuru Peninsula on the Sagami Nada.
Yuzen Jinjya Shrine
In town walking, we walk around Yuzen Jinjya Shrine, Oyu Geyser, etc. Let's visit the history of Atami Spa thrived from long ago.
There are seven old hot springs in Atami. Oyu Geyser is one of the seven hot springs known for a long time.
- Entry fee
- Adult: 1,500yen Elementary and middle school student: 750 yen
- Number of participants
- 2 to 10 people
- Please reserve one week in advance.
- What to wear and bring
- Walking clothes and footwear, hat, rain gear, drinks, etc.
- Canceled in case of heavy rain or storm
Please confirm about "Cancellation Policy".
- Izu Peninsula Geo Guide Association